UPDATE (MARCH 31, 2016): This is how the new Japan visa looks like. The paper is matte. Whereas the one before is glossy. I think the old one is prettier because the flowers and the colors are more obvious. The new one has them but they are muted down. My cousin recently applied for one and they gave her multiple entry for 5 years. 🙂
NOTE: You can also read about my most recent (2015) Japan Tourist visa in the Philippines application here: How to Apply for a Japanese Tourist visa in the Philippines
I’m so excited! This is a dream – come true. Honestly. Getting the Japan visa is probably one of the easier visa to acquire in my opinion since It doesn’t require too many things, probably next to the Korean visa among the visas I have applied for so far.
First things first is finding out what the requirements are for a Japan Tourist Visa and when to apply. A Japan Tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issue and it has a validity of 15 days.
We found a really cheap airfare promo on Jetstar so we already have a specific date in April so we decided to apply in February just in case there would be problems or any issues, we can plan ahead. Also, we wanted to book hotels/hostels early to make sure we have a place to stay and not scramble for last minute accommodations like we did on a previous trip in South Korea because we only got our visa a few days before our flight.
HOW TO APPLY?
Gather all the requirements for a Japan Tourist Visa. It can also be found here on their website. But these were the documents I submitted:
- Philippine passport with at least 6 months validity. Broken lamination of the photo part is not accepted. Must have signature and have at least two (2) blank pages.
- Visa Application form.
- Photo with specifications here.
- Birth Certificate of applicant. NSO Birth Certificates must have been issued within a year. If the Birth Certificate is late registered (like my cousin’s), we found out at the agency that you would also need to submit an original Baptismal Certificate and the original School Form 137A.
- Marriage contract (if the applicant is married) – I’m not.
- Daily Schedule in Japan.
- Bank Certificate(s)
- Income Tax Return – I brought the original one and a copy but they returned the original since they won’t be returning any documents to me. My cousin’s ITR was low because she didn’t work much the previous year. She just submitted an employment certificate and the most recent pay slip in addition to her latest ITR.
- I also included a xerox copy of my DTI and Mayor’s permit.
- I also submitted a printout of our Ticket and flight information as well as our hotel bookings.
- I didn’t submit any of these since I won’t be visiting a friend who will be shouldering the expenses of my travel but if you are, you need to submit these: Documents or photos to prove relationship, invitation letter from guarantor in Japan, Residence Certificate (if Guarantor is Japanese), Foreign Registration Certificate from City Hall (if Guarantor is not Japanese), Guarantee Letter (must have handwritten signature), Income Certificate
Once you got all your documents ready and sorted out, the next step is choosing which agency you should submit your applications through. You cannot go directly to the Japan Embassy. There are about 5 agencies accredited by the Japan Embassy to process visa applications and are listed here.
WHERE TO APPLY?
LIST OF ACCREDITED AGENCIES OF JAPAN EMBASSY IN THE PHILIPPINES
Discovery Tour Inc.
RAJAH TRAVEL CORPORATION
RELI TOURS & TRAVEL AGENCY
NOTE: All Documents must be in A4 (My cousin was just there today 3/28/16 at the Dusit Thani office to submit her application and all her documents were not in A4 as posted in their office but they still allowed her to submit her papers even though they’re not in A4 paper but this is just a note so you’re aware. I’m not sure if that is the standard now for everyone or it’s just this particular travel agency. )
ATTIC TOURS PHILS.,INC.
FRIENDSHIP TOURS AND RESORTS CORPORATION
B. For application WITHOUT Japanese Guarantor
PAN PACIFIC TRAVEL CORPORATION
For the full list and contact information, click here.
I went with Friendship Tours since they are the most accessible from the North in my opinion. I rode a Victory Liner Bus and asked the conductor to drop me off at Ayala and they stop really close to the Dusit Thani Hotel where Friendship Tour’s office is located on the 3rd floor. They also have really good processing rates. Japan Tourist Visa is free, you just have to pay the agency for processing it. Here is a link of their rates. We were really satisfied with their service. Friendship Manila’s agents were really courteous and helpful. We submitted our application on a Tuesday and got our confirmation on Friday.
Yay! I can’t believe I’m finally going to Japan! ^.^
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOUR JAPAN VISA RESULT?
My cousin was told that it will take 7 Business days. In my experience, it was 3 days. 🙂
Tourist Visa Application Requirements: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/new%20visa/tourism.htm
Application form: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/consular_j/new%20visa/visa%20application%20form%202012.pdf
List of Accredited Agencies: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/new%20visa/list%20of%20accredited%20agencies.htm
Other Info: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/index.htm
OTHER HELPFUL JAPAN BLOG POSTS:
5 Easy Steps to Apply for a Japan Tourist Visa For Filipinos
JAPAN TRAVEL ITINERARIES
YOU CAN ALSO CHECK MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCES IN JAPAN BY CLICKING HERE.